Episode 11 of the Space Industry podcast is a discussion with Unibap about some of the latest advances in edge computing, machine learning, and other AI technologies on-board satellites.
In this episode we speak with Fredrik Bruhn from Unibap AB. Unibap is a Sweden-based computer system technology developer creating AI and computing technologies to support advanced automation systems for industries on Earth and in space. We discuss:
- How AI and machine learning can be integrated and used in space applications.
- The benefits that such advances can bring to Earth Observation (EO) missions and services, in order to develop actionable information that drives autonomous operations and other systems.
- How existing computing concepts have driven advances in satellite systems.
- The development of a complementary ground segment ecosystem that is supporting emerging capabilities in orbit.
- How more advanced systems in satellites will enable the better use of ground-based computing resources.
About Unibap’s products
SpaceCloud provides a software framework for information storage and processing, utilizing flexible and reusable compute nodes in a distributed network in space as well as on ground.
The Unibap iX5100 is a SpaceCloud® computer solution featuring an embedded, x86-compatible, and AMD® G-series SOC product from the 1st, 2nd, & LX families. The SOC is paired with a powerful Microsemi® SmartFusion2™ FPGA, which provides IO extension and board supervisory management.
The Optimized Development Unit (ODE) for iX5100 computer solutions is a mini-ITX compatible, rapid engineering platform for the e2000 and e2100 reliable, heterogeneous compute products. The ODE provides flexible software development based on the SpaceCloud software framework.
The SpaceCloud Earth Observation and Robotics Simulator (SCEOS) is derived from Unibap's industrial Intelligent Vision System (IVS-70) and shares the compute capabilities of the radiation tolerant SpaceCloud iX5. SCEOS is a powerful, stereo vision entry solution for robust & intelligent automation.